Monday, January 7, 2013

People Who Made My 2012

Now that we've just powered through 2012, I find it an appropriate time to look back on all the people who made it a memorable year--from those who helped me fall asleep at night a happier person to those whose mere existence put a hitch in my giddy-up.

We begin with my favorite person of all time:

Chef Amanda Freitag
 This woman is perfection. Can I say that? Is that weird? I just love her so much. I love her laugh, I love her kindness and humility, I love that she uttered the phrase "My crepes bring all the boys to the yard" in the middle of a Next Iron Chef challenge. I love that she's the only judge on Chopped who treats the competing chefs like real people. I love her so much, in fact, that in my resolve to be more intentional in my cooking endeavors I have deemed 2013 "The Year of the Freitag." Again, is that weird?

Kai Ryssdal 
During the first half of the year I was working until 6:30 every evening. Because it airs on my local NPR affiliate station at that time, the program Marketplace became my soundtrack on my drives home. Kai Ryssdal is the host, and though I know literally nothing about the S&P 500 even after listening for months on end, I would wear a jock strap on my forehead if Kai told me to. Well, maybe not my forehead. But definitely my arm. (I have not included Mr. Ryssdal's photo here because it's his voice, not his physical appearance, with which I am familiar--though I'm told he does in fact have a face.)

Brandi Carlile
On three separate occasions in the past week alone I have woken up with one of her songs in my head, only to go downstairs and find my mom singing a different one. The house is never quiet. Brandi has consumed us. She's playing in the living room as I write this. My poor dad.

David Muir
I have long maintained that it must be impossible to get a job at ABC World News if you're not among the most gorgeous humans to ever exist on this earth. Clearly David Muir--field correspondent and weekend anchor--is no exception. Who wouldn't watch the evening news if this is the face talking at you? (Honorable mention: Matt Gutman.)

Mitt Romney
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer seven consecutive root canals to this man's company and I would have moved permanently to Australia if he'd won the election. But "binders full of women"? Happy birthday, Olivia.

Michael Gspurning
Badass Sounders goalie. Lowest goals-against average of any 'keeper in the league, third-lowest in Major League Soccer history. Plus he's Austrian and adorable and, like, nine feet tall. And this was his first season with an American team. The man's a beast.

Abby Wambach
And speaking of beasts, this girl has been full-on punched in the face and had a gash on her head stapled closed while still on the field and went on to finish both games. She's the second all-time leading scorer for the US Women's National Team and she is incredible to watch. I measure all things hardcore on a scale of 1 to Abby, with myself falling somewhere around -3.

1 comment:

  1. I second Kai Ryssdal! Oh P.S. hi Olivia I read your blog!

    ReplyDelete