Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tree of Delights

What do a pair of clogs, a package of red candles, a rolling toy zebra, and a tiny green Adirondack chair have in common? They all make excellent Christmas tree weights. 

Duh.

If there was ever any doubt that I was born into the right family, I submit this as photographic proof. I came downstairs one morning to discover the Where's Waldo of household items in our white fir. When my mom was a kid, her family hung clothes from the branches of their tree to coax them into a more lateral position. Evidently this is the 21st-century solution to that primeval practice.

It's like studying  an MC Escher drawing: Your eye takes you all over the page and you discover something new every time you look at it. Except instead of an optical illusion of a room full of stairs, it's a Christmas tree full of firewood and running shoes and a metal candle holder.

I had commented that the tree was fairly narrow compared to the trees we normally get. My mother's response: "It's not so narrow when you put clogs in the branches."

No comments:

Post a Comment