Friday, December 31, 2010

The "Best" of the 2000s

It's probably not news to you that I LOVE
Because I love NPR, I am once again plagiarizing their ideas (as if little ol' me could even cause a ripple where NPR has just plowed through with a tsunami). Earlier this morning they aired a special on the most memorable sounds of 2010--news clips ranging from a radio broadcast of September 11th to the election of President Obama to the rescue of the 33 Chilean miners. I have decided to make my own list of noteworthy occurrences in the past decade. To assist me I have consulted my gigantic MaxBrite paper box full of old journals. 

But before I begin, a note on diaries: I don't know how Anne Frank and Sylvia Plath did it. Their words were raw and eloquent, their entries suspenseful and heartbreaking and deeply, deeply revealing. They spoke of identity and acceptance and fear. They challenged themselves to change their own ways of thinking. Their thoughts were (and remain) works of immense literary merit. And then there's me: the girl whose most scandalous, heartfelt written admittance before the age of ten was that she sometimes didn't like her cat.

That being said, read ahead at your own risk. Here is my list of most memorable moments (in their original contexts) since 2000:

UPDATE: As it turns out, ten years' worth of journals is about 15 of them. Even at my most self-involved, I'm not prepared to read 15 journals of nothing but me being repetitive and feeling sorry for myself. Instead, I will just share snippets of some of my favorite entries.

February 5, 1997
"Today I want to tell you that last week my teacher wasn't at school."  

September 15, 2001
"Today my friend M and I were prank calling people and reciting a cheesy commercial about a girl's club." Evidently we hadn't yet heard of Prince Albert in a can.

September 17, 2001 
"Today was by far the most uneventful day of my life, including when I was a baby and all I did was sleep and cry." Well then by all means, let's write about it.

October 5, 2001
"If God had made every day a Friday, my life would be so much easier."

October 28, 2001
"I guess good things do come to people who try. I didn't ruin my yearbook picture after all." Wow. Just...wow.

March 22, 2003
"Shut up, Joe! Hungry pants. Frisbee golf. M&M ice cream. No pulp, water, or milk. Chickenfoot dominoes. Tombstone factory. Winky. Unidentified pool." I could explain this, but it's funnier if I don't.

April 8, 2004
"Here are two words that sum up everything: I got my license!" Here are four more: MATH CLASS.

October 11, 2004
"If I could only remember if I brought my PE clothes home, I could sleep easily."

November 11, 2004
"I have to remind myself to accomplish something amazing in exactly seven years."

February 25, 2005
"I had the most amazing dream last night where I met the entire cast of CSI."

May 5, 2005
"I was listening to Radio Lab on NPR this morning, and they were saying that scientists have this technology that can pick up reverberations from the Big Bang. I turned off the program and listened very hard and became convinced that I could hear the echoes. Then again, I'm also convinced I can see air molecules." Reason #6,730 why I will die alone.

November 25, 2005
"And to think last year E was a little baby. And the year before that she wasn't even born."

February 28, 2006 
This journal really doesn't have that many pages." Astute observation, Margoshes.  

April 14, 2006
"What doesn't make me happy, though, is a little thing I like to call Hell." No context required.

January 1, 2007
"New Year's Resolution: Try not to eat past 9:00pm." That lasted about 45 minutes. 

December 26, 2007
"Whatever happened to Milky Pens? Those were awesome." Watch out, Anne Frank. I'm a-comin'.

February 2, 2008
"11:20pm: I have developed a twitch in my right eye. 11:30pm: Twitch has been replaced by a pounding headache and an inability to comprehend the word 'about.'"

March 18, 2008
"Why can't my life be a romantic comedy?" The age-old question.

August 6, 2008
"I took 37 pictures of the sunset tonight. I am such a problem."

February 5, 2009
"Cruise control has recently become my latest obsession."

2 comments: