Monday, December 13, 2010

My "I Wish I Could Say This Was Abnormal" Sunday

The end of my weekend was characterized by a whole flotilla of dorky things. Allow me to elaborate. Or don't. Either way, I'm going to.

Low point: Losing a sock in the washing machine. (I swear I put it in. It just never came out.)

High point arising from low point: This discovery came a week after the Olivia Alert went out on another missing sock from another pair. This abduction had a happy ending, though, as when I was pulling the sheets off my bed to wash them the missing sock tumbled over the edge of the mattress.

High point: My mom finding my flannel polar bear sheets, which I misplaced years ago and thought my brother had used to cover the huge macrobins of grapes fermenting in the basement. Words can't express how much fun I had sleeping on a family of bears with scarves and hats who were merrily skiing, ice skating, and ice fishing on a white flannel mountain.

I think we can all agree this is definitely worth a two-hour wait.
Low point arising from high point: When I stripped the sheets off my bed and threw them into the washing machine, I was under the impression that there was a set of clean sheets I could put right on the mattress. I was wrong. Though my mom found my faves, and though they had been clean when she stowed them away in her linens tub in the basement four years ago, four years is a long time and they were no longer tantalizingly sanitary. So they had to be washed. Unfortunately, it was 10pm and there was another load in the washer. Me being the absolutely ridiculous person I am, I insisted on sleeping on my polar bear sheets even if it meant waiting until after midnight for them to dry. And that is exactly what it meant. And that is exactly what I did. And while I did indeed have a lovely and peaceful slumber, I'm pretty sure it was thanks to the fact that I'd stayed up three hours past my bedtime and was consequently exhausted, and not because I was frolicking with snowshoeing polar bears in my dreams. If I started a weekly segment here on my blog called, "No Wonder I'm Alone," this would be the Polar Bear Edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment