Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Oh, Rumi

Evidently Poetry Corner Monday should be renamed Poetry Corner Whenever I Feel Like It.

This evening I was reorganizing my poetry books (what, is that weird?) and through some cosmic act of fate my Rumi book fell open to this poem. I'm stunned by how applicable it is to my life right now (starting with how I forgot to post this yesterday):

Sometimes I Forget Completely

Sometimes I forget completely
what companionship is.
Unconscious and insane, I spill sad
energy everywhere. My story
gets told in various ways: a romance,
a dirty joke, a war, a vacancy.

Divide up my forgetfulness to any number,
it will go around.
These dark suggestions that I follow,
are they part of some plan?
Friends, be careful. Don't come near me
out of curiosity, or sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment