Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I Will Always Love You, Boy Meets World

When I was growing up, one of my favorite shows was Boy Meets World. I still love it, and not in the ironic way that I am still loyal other questionable childhood obsessions like B*Witched and Lip Smackers. Watching Boy Meets World felt like I was hanging out with my best friends, like I was safe and carefree and valuable.

In November, it was reported that Disney Channel was in the early stages of a follow-up series called Girl Meets World, centered on the life of Cory and Topanga's twelve-year-old daughter. This news delighted me, as the original series was such a big part of my life that to this day my mom and I quote it on a near-daily basis. I figured the twenty-somethings of the world would unite in a collective whoop of ecstasy.

Imagine my surprise, then, when my beloved Boy Meets World became the topic of judgmental conversation this past week on both This American Life and Too Beautiful to Live, a Seattle-based podcast that I love. I won't get into the details of the discussions because doing so hurts my soul, but I will say the overall consensus was...grim. And so I ask: What is with you people? Again, and I say this with zero sarcasm (which is probably a first for me), this show is a masterpiece. Proof:


How could you not fall in love? They don't make TV like this anymore.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT?!?!! What could they possibly say was bad about Boy Meets World?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised too. The contributor was oblivious it was a primetime show that everyone watched; hardly an "under the radar" show. Maybe she didn't own a TV when she was young.

    ReplyDelete