Sunday, February 6, 2011

Why Yes, I AM in Kindergarten

Yesterday I spent a lovely morning and afternoon with my dear friend Ellen. We made orange cranberry scones (and by "we," I mean I made scones while Ellen created Superbowl and Valentines Day ensembles for my brother's Obama action figure). 

Note the Stars of David
Valentines Day/my birthday Bama
49ers Superbowl Bama


We then trekked to Target for supplies and headed to the Lyon's Den--a cafe near Ellen's aparment--where we drank chai and made Valentines. I'm pretty sure all the baristas and customers were judging us for our piles of construction paper and cardstock, our markers and colored pencils and crayons, our scalloped scissors and glitter glue, our packs of stickers and uproarious cackling whenever we  came up with a pun like "I 'bear'ly tolerate you, although you can occasionally be 'fur'ly nice."

It was like we were cemented to those chairs. We didn't move for hours. Acting like chocolate-giddy children among tables of college students writing term papers and middle-aged women discussing garden produce is quite an exciting experience. There were hearts and paper scraps everywhere, and enough awful jokes to make even the punniest of punners physically ill. Why the greeting card industry hasn't hired us is beyond comprehension. How could you deny the genius of such lines as:

"You're wheely great!"
"You're 'speck'tacular!" (next to a turtle exclaiming, "Look! A speck! Hooray!")
"I think you're a'door'able"
"Ro-bots about it, I love you!"
"I love ewe!"

And these gems:



 (This last one on the right is a nod to one of our favorite episodes of House.) 



As you can no doubt see, we were on fire. Lesson of the day: Never underestimate the power of two comically stunted twenty-somethings in possession of glitter paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment