Thursday, July 29, 2010

Goooood Morning Vietnam!

So I'm trying out this whole blogging-in-the-morning thing. So far I'm fairly skeptical. My wittiest thoughts always come to me right before I go to sleep--right when I'm about to not need them at all--and usually in the morning I haven't had enough time to brew anything half-coherent. I have decided to share with you a story that might not elicit any sort of reaction, but I'll tell it anyway:

When I'm not working in the pottery shop itself, I package pottery to be shipped through UPS. If on any weekday I package more than five boxes, I call UPS and leave a message on their machine that says something along the lines of "Pickup at Orcas Island Pottery, five boxes." One day last week I woke up early and got one box packed. I was planning on doing at least four more after I was done in the shop, but I ended up being too exhausted. The next morning, my day off, I had packed a bunch more and was in the packing room listening to music and singing along and ripping paper and cutting cardboard and printing labels. I noticed a big truck pull up outside the door but I didn't think anything of it because I assumed it was a delivery of packing popcorn or unmade cardboard boxes. The man walked in with his son and started carrying out the pile of boxes I had made near the computer. I forget exactly what I said, but I brought up that I was surprised to see him since I hadn't called UPS for pickup. He looked puzzled and explained that there was a note on his desk telling him we had eight boxes to be taken. Normally when I call for pickup I print out a summary report for the driver, and I have to send all the package information to UPS online. I hadn't done any of this, so I quickly printed out a report. I was still confused...even more so when I looked down at the summary and saw, next to "Number of Boxes," 8. Trippy, right? The UPS guy must have sensed my concern because he said, "If this is the weirdest thing that happens all day, consider it a good day!" I still don't understand. There is absolutely no way anyone could have known I had eight boxes for pickup. I was still in the process of taping one shut when the driver arrived. Plus I had multiple other boxes almost done at the same time--what if he had come ten minutes later, and I had nine? I'm probably the only person who's weirded out by this, but I thought I'd share. Also, it should be noted that I called for pickup two nights ago because there were six boxes, and UPS never came. So...they come when I don't call and they don't come when I call? Am I dealing with a canine?
Speaking of packing, I should head down and whip out a couple boxes before I open the shop. There are 21 down there waiting to be picked up, so UPS better come.

Oh. And I'm not sure I'm a fan of this morning blogging thing. I think I'll stick to the night.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for potential Examiner articles I could write about Seattle, I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment