Friday, July 23, 2010

Double-Exposure

Several days ago I began a conversation with a coworker about photography. She mentioned a gorgeous (well, what I presumed was gorgeous based on her description--she didn't actually use that word) double-exposure she had "accidentally" taken a couple years ago, with a hot Phoenix sunset laid over the image of a birdbath with at least four inches of snow on top. We discussed the art of pairing images, a concept on which neither one of us can claim any sort of expertise, and it was a joyous conversation. That evening I sat in bed until I swear every part of me was asleep except my eyes, and I played with creating double-exposure collages on the computer using my images from Australia. I didn't have any sort of great photographic epiphany, but I definitely had fun. I made about fifteen. Here are some of the keepers, in case you're interested. And, I guess, even if you're not:

Base: My friend Mish looking out across Apollo Bay at sunset.
Overlay: Naked gum trees near Lorne on the Great Ocean Road.

Base: A bird caught in shafts of light in a sunset over Royal Park in Melbourne.
Overlay: My favorite tree in the world--an unbelievably symmetrical ghost gum in Royal Park.

Base: The tower of Ormond College at the University of Melbourne.
Overlay: Rainbow lorikeets in the park at the end of the day.

Base: An elderly fisherman, empty-handed, on the jetty at Brighton Beach.
Overlay: My same favorite ghost gum.

Base: The beach at Coral Bay--the destination of my road trip up the west coast of the country.
Overlay: Sandstone pillars at Pinnacles Desert in Western Australia.

Base: The Melbourne skyline from the singing bridge near the cricket grounds.
Overlay: Me and Mish in a park near Sassafras, a small town in the Dandenong Mountains.

Base: Sunset over Royal Park.
Overlay: A baby wallaby at the kiwi sanctuary in Christchurch.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite is the sunset in Royal Park + your favorite tree. You should get them printed from a website (it's really cheap) as postcards.

    What kind of camera do you have?

    These are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete