Monday, May 27, 2013

Some Island Updates

The front yard of the shop
After only a day in the half in the shop I can say with honest conviction that my greatest accomplishment thus far has been catching a dragonfly flapping around between the fluorescent light bulbs and releasing it outside.

The view from my balcony
I have also noticed that my being left-handed appears to be a popular conversation topic among customers. Apparently we south pawers find great joy in the discovery of our own out in the wild. One man said "Thanks, Lefty!" when I handed him his bagged pottery and receipt. An hour later an elderly woman told me that she'd had her left hand tied behind her back in school to encourage her integration into the flock of righties. Of all the things I could be asked--why eight giant fir trees have been felled at the edge of the shop yard; why the elderly sweet but hostile shop cat Max only attacks dogs when they're on leashes; why I insist on dumping water out of 200 or so pots that have been left out overnight when it's still raining--the hand in which my pen is located is above and beyond the most interesting topic.

I suppose I should take you on a tour of my apartment. Here 'tis:
The living quarters
The cooking quarters
The nook-like upstairs sleeping quarters
The ungodly steep stairway quarters--or as I call it, Mt. Never-rest

I've been spying on the Canadians. I did some detective work over Skype with my friend Meaghin before I came and I'm fairly certain those lights are Whistler.

 

That's all for now. Stay tuned for the pet parade!

1 comment:

  1. Olivia, it is all so beautiful! I'm anxiously waiting for the pet parade. I need to see these pictures.

    ReplyDelete