Saturday, April 6, 2013

TV Theme Songs

I read a blog post last week in which the author was discussing what she considered to be the greatest TV show theme songs of all time. Now, I don't tend to toot my own horn--as one friend put it, "you don't even have a horn" (but I do have a friend!)--but it's high time that people knew a secret about me; a secret of which I am very proud: I have impeccable taste in television theme songs. I mean downright stupendous. So I am going to do what I do so well and so often (but only in my head) and give my opinion when no one asked it. Here are my favorite TV theme songs in the history of TV theme songs. There seem to be two trends, which you'll no doubt notice: 1) nothing beats the '90s, and 2) instrumental theme songs + Olivia trying to be all the instruments at once = undeniably permanent singlehood.


Boy Meets World
(If you don't love this you have no soul)

Brotherly Love
(I'm telling you, this one's a jam)

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
(Seven-year-old Olivia drove her mother NUTS humming this)

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
(Sixteen- through eighteen-year-old Olivia drove her mother NUTS singing this)

The West Wing
(This is what two months alone in an Australian apartment sound like)

30 Rock
(To be honest, because I worship Tina Fey, this could sound like shit and I would still love it)

Weeds
(Admit it, Sarabellum, you love it)

The Golden Girls
(This sounds infinitely better when in the company of one Casey Langford)

The Nanny
(Scotty Boy Lyons, if you're reading this, come home and sing this with me!)

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
(It is surprisingly difficult to find just the opening credits of this show)


Honorable mentions:

Will & Grace
McLeod's Daughters (for its sentimental value)
Clarissa Explains it All (I'm a fan of anything you can "na" to)

1 comment:

  1. YES YES YES YES!

    Also, you definitely mean McCloud's Daughters, right?!?!?! RIGHT?!?!

    ReplyDelete