Sunday, March 11, 2012

Some Things Everything I Forgot to Post Earlier

I volunteer with a tiny poetry publisher in Seattle. One of my current tasks is to compile a list of bookstores in the state so the press can send copies of their poetry reviews and anthologies to them. Not only am I learning how to use an Excel spreadsheet (which is always a good time), but I'm learning towns in Washington that I had no idea existed (Camas, Chattaroy, Normandy Park, Newman Lake). My greatest find by far, though, is a bookstore in Davenport called Hart n Home 4U that specializes in books on Christianity and brain disease. I find this combination utterly delightful.

According to Biblio.com, the store Taradise Books in Kirkland is "currently on vacation and their inventory is not available at this time." Where, pray tell, does a bookstore go on vacation?

Here are my two most recent musical obsessions. (Pay attention, because it's not often that I get a new one): 1) Scars on 45. This band has recently joined my growing list of concert openers who I might possibly like more than the bands they opened for. 2) Rodrigo y Gabriela. I first heard this Mexican musical duo where I hear most things: NPR (or as I like to call it, Why I Have No Friends). Of this video's  nearly 304,000 views, I think I account for about 300,000. It's absolutely mesmerizing. I can't stop watching.

I wore my Sounders scarf to work the other day and this happened:

E (a kindergartner): Did you make this?
Me: The scarf? No.
E: What is it?
Me: It's a scarf.
E: What's it for?
Me: To wear.
E: Are you part of this?
Me: Part of what?
E (pointing to the Sounders crest): This thing.
Me: The Sounders?
E: Yes.
Me: Am I on the Sounders?
E: Yes.
Me: Sweetie, it's a professional men's soccer team.
E: It is?
Me: Yes.
E: Oh. *Thinks for a minute* So you don't play on it?

When my cousin was here visiting last month we ordered takeout Thai food from a place near my house and put the order under Naomi's name. When we showed up to get it, the lady at the register was profoundly confused by Naomi's name and couldn't find our order on the shelf. "Could it be under any other name?" she asked, and Naomi shook her head. "What did you order?" the lady asked. Naomi told her and she finally found our bag and rang it up. No wonder she couldn't find our food: the name on the receipt was Mel.
     So a few days ago I had the following conversation with my mom:

Me: I told Michael about the Mel thing.
Mom: Mel?
Me: You know. Naomi.
Mom: Oh. Haha!
-approximately three minutes later-
Mom: Wait, I don't remember the Mel thing.
Me: Then why did you laugh?
Mom: Because I remember that it was funny.

I'm probably the only 24-year-old in the country who groans when the Oscars are on because it means no ABC World News. (Speaking of the Oscars, my mom and I spent the entire three-hour broadcast trying to pinpoint what exactly about Tom Cruise's current appearance makes him look so ancient. My mom said his cheeks. I said his nose, then my mom decided that maybe I thought it was his nose because his hairline is receding. No, you didn't miss anything - that logic really does make no sense.)

2 comments:

  1. Wait, why DON'T you play on the Sounders? Mauro would love to have you (on the team, on the team.)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha! Oh I'd love to have him too...

    ReplyDelete