Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Poetry Corner Monday

This is a day late. I'd apologize, but no one gives a crap.

I just discovered this poet, whose collection, A Love Story Beginning in Spanish, was hiding bashfully on the top shelf of my local library's meager poetry section. I'm in love with this poem, which I think sounds so wonderful when read aloud.

To Understand El Azul

-Judith Ortiz Cofer-

We dream in the language we all understand,
in the tongue that preceded alphabet and word.
Each time we claim beauty from the world,
we approximate its secret grammar, its silent
syntax; draw near to the Rosetta stone
for dismantling Babel.

If I say el azul, you may not see the color
of mi cielo, mi mar. Look once upon my sky,
my sea, and you will know precisely
what el azul means to me.

Begin with this: the cool kiss
of a September morning in Georgia, the bell-shaped
currents of air changing in the sky, the sad ghosts
of smoke clinging to a cleared field, and the way
days will taste different in your mouth each week
of the season. Sabado: Saturday
is strawberry. Martes: Tuesday
is bitter chocolate to me.

Do you know what I mean?

Still, everything we dream circles back.
Imagine the bird that returns home every night
with news of a miraculous world just beyond
your private horizon. To understand its message,
first you must decipher its dialect of distance,
its idiom of dance. Look for clues
in its arching descent, in the way it resists
gravity. Above all, you have to learn why
it aims each day

toward the boundless azul.

1 comment:

  1. I give a crap, and I demand an apology. It's not called Poetry Corner Tuesday, is it?

    Bahahaha, I'm kidding. But seriously, this is a lovely poem. I'm sad because I don't think my library actually has a poetry section, because I've looked and can't find it. Maybe it's hidden away in a dark room...

    ReplyDelete