Monday, May 9, 2011

That Toddlin' Town

I've often thought that if something is good enough for Frank Sinatra, it's good enough for me. This time, that something is the toddlin' town of Chicago.


I want to move to Chicago. I have never been to Chicago, but I want to move to Chicago. My parents have tried to subtly suggest that perhaps I should reconsider. My mother doesn't think I would like Chicago (direct quote: "I don't think you would like Chicago.") My dad wants to know if I'm planning on visiting before I move, to which I respond that I didn't visit Melbourne before I moved there, and that was the greatest year of my life. (I have no qualms about broadcasting this on my blog because I happen to know for a fact that my parents won't read this until I'm dead.)

I love me a good coastal metropolis. That alone is a reason to move, but I've got more. Everything wonderful in this world is in Chicago: Ira Glass; Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!; an elevated train (which, in my opinion, is the most astonishing advancement in public transit ever); the tallest building in the western hemisphere. Oh, and a giant reflective bean in the middle of the city. It's like Chicago was built to my exact specifications.

I have spent the past month or so absorbed in daydreams of what my life would be like if I were to pack up and move across the country. I would go running in each of the city's 552 parks. I would attend at least one live taping of Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! every month. I would ride the El every chance I got. I would retrace the steps taken by Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman in the romantic comedy While You Were Sleeping (which I may or may not have watched three times last week). Also, I would take up yoga. 

I went to the library the other day and checked out a guidebook to Chicago. I read it front to back. Twice. And then I checked out two more. I've researched jobs and apartments on the Chicago Craigslist. I even--and I consider this the most blatant pro-move indication--knew the answer to the Thursday crossword's clue: "The heart of Chicago, with 'the'."

Nevermind that I don't have a job. Nevermind that my life has collapsed into a by-the-minute routine in which I make sure to finish my breakfast before 8:00 on the dot and then sit down to read for an hour so I can be fully digested in time for my run, which lasts from exactly 9:10 to 9:40, unless of course I have chosen my short run that lasts until 9:25, or my medium short run that lasts until 9:31 and 30 seconds, or my short long run that lasts until 9:34. Nevermind that you couldn't even use binoculars to see the time in my life when I might potentially be in a position to move. 

I am going to move. 

I am going to move.

I am going to move.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I do have to tell you that the L really isn't any better than any other city's public transportation. Sadly, you probably won't be able to meet Bill Pullman's bushy eyebrowed brother while working there.

    Also, they don't use tokens anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for that, I'm not going to share with you the thing I remembered I wanted to share with you as soon as I hung up after leaving that inane message on your voicemail.

    I certainly do know how to punish.

    ReplyDelete