Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lilac Season

Sun is once again taking up 15 minutes of the evening news. Correspondents are approaching sunbathers at Gas Works Park and asking them how they feel now that it's finally above 63 degrees. People are wearing shorts and tank tops in weather that would be considered frigid anywhere else in the country. They're neglecting sunscreen. Their skin is on fire.

They're happy.

And me, I'm spending my days sitting under our lilac bush with my eyes closed, inhaling the fragrance of everything beautiful. It's finally lilac season. There is nothing lovelier, nothing more perfect, than this flower--delicate, aromatic clusters of purple sagging from their branches like springtime grapes. Life is unfurling. I am surrounded by golden evening sunlight and air so sweet I wish I never had to exhale. I am discovering the perfection you can't see. I am allowing myself to breathe. 

I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment