Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lest you forget how homesick I am (despite how much I love it here), I thought I'd jot down a list of things I miss the most about home--an updated version. Keep in mind that it's 12:07 a.m. and most of this post will probably be wildly incoherent.

-My bed, complete with my body pillow and the blanket my mama knit me for Christmas
-Bike rides to Gas Works Park while listening to the Rent soundtrack and Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" on repeat more times than I care to share
-Evening walks through my neighborhood
-An OVEN! I will never again take for granted my ability to make cookies whenever I want.
-Pike Place Market (specifically the pasta stand, the doughnut hole stand, and the underground bead shop).
-Hearing the sheep every morning when I wake up
-Picking fresh vegetables (tomatoes, green beans, etc.) from my mama's garden for dinner
-As a continuation of the last bullet, fried green tomatoes!
-Cleaning the kitchen every night while listening to the music that I'm shocked my parents aren't sick of yet
-Summer barbecues and rolling around in the grass
-Playing guitar with my daddy
-Making ice cream on the kitchen deck with our Stone Age ice cream maker, and in the process spilling what probably amounts to a liter of rock salt down the slats between the wooden planks
-Mowing the lawn
-Walking down the driveway to get the mail and having Mt. Rainier staring right back at me
-Orcas Island. Everything about it. Teezer's, Bilbo's (I just wrote "Bobo's" and had no idea why that looked wrong to me), the Island Market, Orcas Island Pottery, Crow Valley, Moran State Park, Turtleback Mountain.
-Not living in the middle of a city
-Being able to talk to my friends and family without having to factor in a 17-hour time difference
-Having a wider wardrobe selection than the approximately two shirts I brought with me

That's it for now. I'm tired. I should sleep. "Should" being the key word. And I think it should be noted that I probably won't actually sleep. I'll probably load another episode of West Wing. Oh, the brilliant choices I make when I'm alone in my apartment and finished with my papers. And by brilliant, I mean really really stupid. Tomorrow (or sometime in the possibly near future) I'll post a list of things I'll miss most about Melbourne when I leave. Seeing as how that's not for six months, clearly there's no rush. Goodnight, all. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Judging by this post, I can see you are in fact, alive. But where have you been hiding for the last five days? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete