Thursday, May 7, 2009

Royal Park

I don't know if words can really do this justice, so I'm going to leave this with a (censored) quote from a friend freshman year: "Why do we have to pick apart nature? Why can't we just let it be a miracle and leave it the f*** alone?"

This reminds me of the beginning of The Lion King (not to be confused with The Lion King: an Existentialist Musical created by myself and Jessica Rice for an AP English creative project). The gum trees look vaguely African, and the color of the sky is a shade I've only seen in images of the Sahara at sunset. Also, I'd just like to say that I love my camera. That's all.

There are three things I have encountered in my life that seem too perfect and absurd and unreal to actually exist: shadows, reflections, and light splintering through clouds. It almost hurts, how beautiful this is, hurts in the way that makes you think nothing you dream or build or imagine will ever burn like this.

I am a very sarcastic person, and I tend to exaggerate way too frequently for my own good (to me, everything is "the greatest thing ever!"), but I am completely serious when I say that this is my favorite tree in the entire world. It looks like the magical tree in Big Fish, and every time I run past it I imagine Carl the Gentle Giant standing idly beside it, waiting for something that won't ever come. Godot, maybe. I also like to think that if I were to climb up into its branches that no matter how high up or how far out I go, I'd never reach the end. The branches would just keep growing and curling and sprouting leaves and eventually I could crawl across them and wind up home.

There's something about the moon that I find ominously fascinating, how you can be anywhere in the world and it looks exactly the same. How can that even be possible? Mama, remember the morning you and Daddy drove me to the airport to go to Europe, and the first thing you said once we got in the car was, "I wonder what the moon will look like from all the way over there." Well this is what it looks like from all the way down here. Ceaselessly beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh Livvy - those sunset photos are absolutely breath taking (one word oh mistress of the english language?). And the light through the trees, how do you manage to be just in the perfect spot all the time?
    I love it all
    mama

    ReplyDelete