Monday, March 30, 2015

Poetry Corner Monday

Immortality

Sandra Beasley


Face it: I will never
appear on the flipside of a nickel,
or as a balloon floating down Fifth Avenue;
no one will give my name to a variety of rosebush,
or a way to throw fastballs, or a beetle
with four strange, silvery wings.

They say my spit's helixes will swim in the children
of my children but that's nothing more
than a simple whip graft, the way
a pear tree is bullied into fruit. My heart
is one yellow marble waiting in a swarm of yellow marbles,
waiting for someone to chalk lines of play, waiting

for the thumb of God. Inertia
is a poor man's immortality. Even
the ancient recipes have failed us now--
no more gilded eyelids or canonic jars, no more
baklava baking in the crypt
of my jaw. Call me

selfish, but who doesn't dream
of being both kites and wind, boat and ocean?
I want to be the ball and the bat and the mound
and the sweat and the grass. 
I want to be the vampire who drinks

a tall cool glass of me so he can live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment