Monday, September 17, 2012

Poetry Corner Monday

It's been a while since I did a song for PCM so I thought I'd change that this week. This is one of my favorites of all time: "Miss Me" by Joe Purdy. I first heard it when I was studying in Melbourne and I fell in love with the lyrics because I felt like they were telling the story of my life. I'm learning it on the guitar right now and let's just say that it doesn't sound quite as good as the original. I hope you love it.


Some movie star told you this ain't where it's at
so you packed your bags and one night you headed out.
Said these small town blues got you going insane,
gonna move to the city, gonna change your name.
You'd never look back at where you came,
swore you're never gonna be the same.

Do you miss me?

You're a big girl now, got your big girl shoes
and you're running around with your big girl blues.
And I know you don't doubt yourself anymore,
when you feel like like leaving you walk out the door.
And I bet you ain't got nothing left to learn
and it's better that way 'cause you never get burned.
And you try not to think about what might have been,
'cause you know this town is just sink or swim.

Do you miss me?

Well the last time I saw you you were waving goodbye
from the back of a train with a tear in your eye.

Now I hear you're in love with some big-city man,
together you're making your big-city plans,
and you hope he don't find out about who you are,
that we used to catch fireflies in mason jars.
We used to go down to the county fair,
we listened to bluegrass in the summer air
and we danced all night as the rain came down,
and you held my hand as we slept on the ground.
We wrote our names in the old oak wood,
I guess some things don't work out like they should.

Do you miss me?

No comments:

Post a Comment