Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Soundtrack to My Drives

My mom's van, being a pre-2000 purchase, has a cassette deck instead of a CD player. Because of this we have a tape adapter that plugs into an iPod. This, you see, is more feasible and much cheaper than traveling back in time to the summer two years ago when we gave away the majority of our stash of cassettes, including the only one that ever officially belonged to me: Wee Sing Children, featuring the toe-tapping tunes of "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" and "One Elephant Went Out to Play."

Now, I would be remiss to claim that this tape adapter--how should I say--works. Technically speaking, it does work--by which I mean that when you insert the tape into the player, sound does come out. It just so happens that this "sound" is mostly a cacophonous grinding that you only hear when you trap a fly in a cup against the window, amplified by nine billion. Music does emerge from the speakers, but you have to first crank the volume on both your iPod and the car stereo to the absolute max. And, I should add, when you do this you also have that whiny, vaguely staticky buzz that comes from turning the volume too high.

If you were to pull up next to me at a stoplight when my windows are down, you would witness the perpetual grimace that I seem to adopt whenever I'm trying desperately to hear Ingrid Michaelson's voice over the din of the mechanical insects flapping themselves into cardiac arrest inside my speakers.

On the bright side, when I use the CD player in my dad's car, the purity of the unadulterated music is such that I feel like I could fly. And not against the glass.

2 comments:

  1. Bahahahaha, old cars, old cars... Mine's a 1997 and sometimes the light for the airbags comes on and sometimes it doesn't... So I have about a 50% chance of being killed or not in an accident. Always good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I suggesting purchasing a slightly better adapter? Or maybe I'll dig mine out from wherever it's been stashed since I lost my tape player. The little tape adapter worked SO MUCH BETTER than the super janky way that I have to play my iPod through the radio. That shit is funky. You have to readjust the radio station every like...15 miles so that your music can come through at all. It's balls.

    ReplyDelete