Friday, July 17, 2009

Orientation: Take 2


For our Fall IES Orientation we took a bus into the Grampians National Park, about 3.5 hours northeast of Melbourne. I have friends who spent some time climbing and hiking and camping there last semester, but I never made it out. Though we stayed on the outskirts, the park that we did see was absolutely breathtaking. We were based near Hall's Gap which has access to incredible sandstone rock formations and lookouts. Hopefully I can go back sometime this semester and do some more exploring, but for a weekend getaway I would say we had a pretty idea location. "That's what I said, I said 'Isn't this ideal!' " (Get it, Mama?).

The view from the top of Mt. Pickaninny. It was a comfortable 1.2 km stroll from our accommodations at the Grampians Retreat. I'm still paranoid about snakes so I was suspicious of every stick that possessed lifelike qualities, but I am pleased to say that I emerged from the hike alive. It was superhumanly foggy that morning and I'm surprised that it burned off enough to get this clear of a shot. It was so gorgeous. Although I think my program coordinator was sufficiently creeped out by my incessant questions regarding the kinds of foods he likes to make. But I learned that Brunswick Street has a shop that sells pomegranate molasses, so of course I'll be hitting that up as soon as I can!

Mt. Abrupt, site of my first abseiling experience. If you are unfamiliar with the concept, "abseiling" is basically a fancy word for "thrashing yourself down the face of a jagged rock as you pretend to look like you know what you're doing." Given this definition, I believe I was highly successful. Sure, other people repelled with swiftness and ease. But I like to keep things interesting. Unbruised knees are so last year.

Okay. This is the most adorable creature I have ever seen in my entire life. How is this level of cuteness even remotely possible? I just want to squeeze him (or her). I think the people I was with thought I had problems because I took about 13 pictures of this guy...and he never moved. I took 13 of the same picture. Those of you who know me probably aren't surprised by this. But it's sick. It was like I'd never seen another creature besides my own reflection in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment